Thursday, April 4, 2013





Jennifer Tobias, 3rd grade student at Veterans Elementary School


Despite her youth and inexperience, Jennifer Tobias gathered her inner strength to speak at ACTIONN's April 2nd public assembly to push for implementation of Parent Teacher Home Visits.

"I am Jennifer Tobias, 9 years old, and a 3rd grade student at Veterans Elementary School in Reno. I am not used to public speaking, but I do love acting, so I hope that helps tonight!

When I found out that Mrs. Browser was coming to my house to talk to my mom, I was very scared. I though that I was in big trouble. My mom even thought that maybe there was a big problem with me. You see, sometimes I talk too much in class, so I actually get B's in conduct.

So, when Mrs. Browser came to our apartment, we were not having a good day. But, she greeted us with her big smile, and I found myself asking her if we could do yoga, like she had been teaching us at school. She agreed right away, but my mom needed encouragement to do the yoga. Soon, the three of us were upside down, in down dog, laughing and being silly.

My fears disappeared. We shared hot chocolate together, and she and my mom talked a lot. They got to know each other. My confidence grew, and I could see that my mom was starting to trust her.

My mom began to visit the school and I tried harder and harder, and did better and better in school. You see, we realized Mrs. Browser and everyone at Veterans Elementary School cared about me and my mom. They care about how I am doing. They were all excited when I moved up to the highest reading group and when I get straight A's on each report card - except for that B in conduct.

Maybe talking too much can be a good thing. Thank you for listening and caring!"

A report on the effectiveness of Parent Teacher Home Visits can be found at: http://www.neafoundation.org/content/assets/2012/03/pthv-full-issue-brief-5.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment