Monday, April 22, 2013


Adrianna Rojas, Mother of 3rd Grade Student 
Shares Parent Teacher Home Visit Experience

"Before Mrs. Bowser came to my home to do a Parent Teacher Home Visit, I was nervous. I had gone to school in Mexico, where things are very different.  I didn’t know what to expect. Would she like me? Would she tell me what I was doing wrong? I felt like a child myself waiting for her visit. This was the first time anyone from the school had come to my home.

When she arrived, Jennifer ran up to her and gave her a big hug. She has a big open smile, and we connected right away.

Then Jennifer asked her if we could do yoga (Mrs. Bowser had been teaching yoga at the school.) So the 3 of us did some yoga together and that really broke the ice. We laughed together as we got silly. This showed me that she was a real person, just like me.

Then I served us hot chocolate and Jennfier, Mrs. Bowser and I got to know each other. She is very outgoing and easily put me at ease.  I shared some of my story and my struggle. About how I left Mexico to escape a violent relationship and how hard it can be to have enough money to live.

She didn’t judge me and let me know she cared.

Now, I now that she and the others at Veterans Elementary School really care about me and my daughter, Jennifer. I have visited the school, since then, many times. Jennifer is at the top of her class in reading and loves school. I know I made the right decision to come to the United States."

For more information on Parent Teacher Home Visits,

http://archive.cta.org/NR/rdonlyres/7760417A-1ECE-4B80-BB8B-ABDA4EE669AC/0/v6i5_makingthecase.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment