Friday, March 13, 2015

Making a Big Difference ~ Koni Fujiwara, Teacher


    6th year teacher at Greenbrae Elementary School, Koni Fujiwara, describes a touching story where Parent Teacher Home Visits have made a tipping point big difference in connecting to her students.

   “I have a student whose behavior and attention was inconsistent in the classroom and even at recess. There were some days when she would have obvious difficulties that seemed unrelated to what was going on at school. She would have days when she was ‘off’ from beginning to end.  I could guess that something was up at home but she never told me about it. She just wouldn’t focus on the lesson or get into a little trouble at recess. I knew her family and I knew some of their circumstances.

   Then I did a Parent Teacher Home Visit and discovered that she has a sibling with serious health problems. My student’s inconsistent behavior was directly connected to her sibling’s situation. From the visit, the student felt, in a way she hadn’t previously, that I really care about her. She doesn’t feel like she has to hide her challenges anymore. Now she tells me exactly what is going on and it gives her a way to gather support. She never did that before the home visit. And her motivation to work harder in the classroom has grown as a result.

   For every single student whose family I have visited it has made a big difference. It is so apparent that they know that I really care about them. They come every day and see me in the classroom but taking that one little step to visit their home and family, that makes a big difference to a little kid.”





No comments:

Post a Comment