Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hug High School Advocate, Scott Barclay, for Parent Teacher Home Visits


Scott Barclay, Hug High School Advocate for Parent Teacher Home Visits

I've been doing home visits with parents for 2 years now, after our principal suggested that we do them to build relationships with families, and not for the reasons that we had done them in the past (truancy and grade problems.)

I randomly chose parents who I didn't know yet, and found that I had to tell them right away when scheduling the appointment that their child wasn't in trouble.

One family was a single mom with four kids, with the oldest sister missing school because she had to watch the younger ones while the mom looked for work. I was not judging, but developed a connection to the mom. Here I was, a big white guy with this tiny Latino woman, in her house. But my positive attitude and her welcoming helped bridge our differences.

The mom knew I cared and she found me trustworthy enough to tell me about their struggles, including those concerning immigration, and not be scared. I became a resource to the family. Now, the child is doing really well in school and is college bound. The mom even initiates conversation and calls me regularly for advice or with questions. I feel like she thinks of me as part of her family.

What a gift these families are giving me to let me enter their homes and share their lives. When I visit, many feed me and I show my willingness to try what they offer. Being open to what they say and share is then interpreted as the school caring about them. What a difference it make for them, their child, and for me!

1 comment: