Thursday, July 18, 2013

Helen Housby first grade teacher/ warrior at Katherine Dunn Elementary School, Sparks, Nevada




Helen Housby first grade teacher/ warrior at 
Katherine Dunn Elementary School, Sparks, Nevada

“My first experience with Parent Teacher Home Visits occurred about twenty years ago.  Katherine Dunn Elementary School was considered a middle class, neighborhood school back in those days, and I was a middle class white female teacher trying to understand why some of my students had poor attendance. We were trying to motivate the parents to get their children to school on time. Parent Teacher Home Visits had not been part of the school’s culture.

I met with a mom and her three kids who were students in my class.  They lived in the Marina Gardens apartments on Howard Drive, which were considered ‘low income’ apartments. This visit had a profound impact on my teaching career.

The circumstances that the family lived with were difficult, yet I found that the family did care about their children’s future. They were not living in the kind of order I was used to, but they cared. I learned to change my assumptions and grow as a person.

I learned to alter my teaching methods to meet the needs of my students. I found resources for connecting the families to other needed services, because I saw firsthand what those needs were.
By building a relationship with the families, I began to see improvement in the students’ attendance and I knew I was on the right track. I am a firm believer in Parent Teacher Home Visits.”

No comments:

Post a Comment