Thursday, March 14, 2013

Suzanne Browser, Veterans Elementary School




"When you laugh and cry with parents of our students it builds a bond beyond what you can do at school. I am a raving fan of home visits as I have seen the results firsthand. Experiencing home visits has really changed me.

I did a home visit with a mother who crawled across the desert to the U.S. on her knees when she was 7 months pregnant to find a better life for her and her children.  I was the first person she told. I felt so honored to have her share her story, and I was honoring her by my presence in her home.

At first this mother was shy and reluctant to come to the school.  Her child was having emotional and learning difficulties. Now mom visits the school all the time. Her daughter has blossomed. They know I care.

Doing home visits has been an awakening for me. I used to think that Latino families didn't value education. I was so wrong. During the home visits I ask, 'What are your hopes and dreams for your child.' Every single one has said, 'To finish school, to have a better life than I have.'

My children knew from the time they were born that they would go to college. These families just need to be shown what is possible for their children too.

I had an opening to add a home visit last week. I called a family without much advance notice to try to schedule it. She said, 'Sure come on over.' When I arrived, she had breakfast ready for me!

The families are ready for us to know them. We just need to take the first step."

No comments:

Post a Comment