Monday, April 27, 2015

Cheri Osborn, Special Education Teacher
 Giving Hope Through Parent Teacher Home Visits



 When a student is struggling it can be hard to figure out why or the best ways to help her or him to succeed. But I am finding that through the Parent Teacher Home Visits, it opens up lots of new insights for both me and the families.
 Let me tell you about Annie (name changed to protect privacy). She was not completing her homework and I naturally thought she wasn’t interested. Then I did the Parent Teacher Home Visit and was warmly greeted by the family with cookies and juice. We all sat down on the couch in the living room. The family was from Mexico and English is their second language.
We talked about the daughter having trouble completing her homework and turning it in. We discovered that she had questions about her homework but was not asking for help. One of the things that we did to help fix the problem was that I shared some books with the family that are written in both English and Spanish. Now the mother could read the same book as the daughter and discuss it together in Spanish.
This is helping the family to have a conversation about the books and the characters. It is making learning fun for the child and the family. The family is participating in the child’s learning and it now seems natural to them to read together.
The family engagement of the families I have visited has really improved tremendously since doing Parent Teacher Home Visits. There is a connection that I am making in the Parent Teacher Home Visit that helps the parents and me connect on a new level with trust and ease.       When the family sees how much I care about their child, and I see how much they care too, our bond builds.

We are all in this together for one common goal. We are giving hope to the child to succeed at whatever her or his dreams are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment