Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sam Mendoza




Sam  Mendoza, Dreamer

I am 18 years old and a student at Hug High School in Reno.
I was born in Leon Guanajuato, Mexico. When I was 8 years old, one night my dad woke me up in the middle of the night to leave for the United States.

It was a long hard journey by my parents and me. We crossed a fast moving river and I was very afraid of drowning. We walked for many hours through wet and muddy farms. When a helicopter circled overhead, we ducked down in a ditch. We had to hide for days before we crossed, with no food or supplies, except for a salami. 
After a lot of struggle, we eventually got to the US.

5 months ago my dad went to get his drivers’ license renewed and while there, he was picked up and arrested by ICE (the Immigration Control Enforcement.) It became up to me to pay the rent and buy food while he was in jail. I worked 3 jobs while also going to school. I sold hot dogs, worked at the flea market, remodeled houses. But because I am a kid and was undocumented, I wasn’t even paid the minimum wage. They gave me $6 or $7 an hour. It was very hard.

Finally we got loans to get my dad out of jail. He is now working on a ranch so we don’t get to see him, but he sends us money. He has to go for a hearing soon and we are afraid that he may be deported. Then what will I do?

I don’t want to drop out of school, but I may have to if my dad is deported. That would be such a disappointment, because I am taking Advanced Placement and Honors classes and have my heart set on a career in public policy!

I was able to get my deferred action papers so now I can legally work and apply to college. But I am worried about how I will continue with my education if my dad is deported.

I am very glad my parents brought me to the United States to get a good education, but it can be hard to survive. I wish for immigration reform so my family can all stay together and my dad can take care of me and my mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment